Cooking and Preparation Time 20-30 mins approx
Garbanzo Beans/Chole Beans - 1.5 cups soak overnight in sufficient water and next day pressure cook until soft and intact not mashed
Fenugreek/Methi leaves - 1-1.5 cups plucked and cleaned properly
Onion - Red 1 medium very finely chopped
Green chillies - 2 vertically slit
Asafoetida- a pinch
Jeers/Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tbsp
Chlli powder -1/2 tbsp
Chole powder - 1 tbsp Any brand( I used MDH)
Tomato - 1 medium chopped
Oil - 2-3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Ginger, Garlic - chopped - 1 tbsp combined
Water - 1 cup
Coriander and lemon wedges for garnishing
- Presoak the beans one day before and next day pressure cook them with 3-4 or less whistles until they are soft but still intact in shape.
- Heat oil in non stick pan, add asafoetida, jeera/cumin, onions, green chillies, turmeric powder and saute till onions change color.
- Then add, ginger, garlic and saute. On low heat add chilli powder, chole powder and mix well.
- Immediately add methi leaves and mix well. Then add chopped tomatoes and salt.
- Cook covered until tomatoes are mushy. Then, add garbanzo beans and mix everything well.
- Adjust salt, then add water and cook covered on low-med heat for 10-12 mins.
- Serve hot with rotis and garnish with cilantro and lemon wedges.